The tour Wednesday, October 30 is organized by the director of the cultural department of the city of Tunis Najet Fakhfakh and her collaborator Abdou together with Denis Lesage, architect who was responsible for the rehabilitation of the Bardo Museum,
National Museum of Bardo
The Bardo, a word that may derive from Spanish “Prado” nominates the residential complex of the beys of Tunis and his court – that used to be a whole town – installed in the 17th century in a land of orchards, where water was provided by an aqueduct built at that time as a branch of the Roman aqueduct that brought to Carthage the water of the Zaghouan mountains (140 kilometers long). In the years 1880’s the beys installed their residence in La Marsa, on the coast near Carthage, hence abandoned Bardo, albeit the latest arrangements and refurbishments were made around 1860.Under the French protectorate, the sovereignty rooms of Bardo -throne room, council room,etc – were maintained and the bey’s apartments were converted into a museum of antiques, where every important antique item – architectural remnants, sculptures and mainly mosaics - from the archaeological excavations all over Tunisia was installed, until the Bardo museum became the largest Roman mosaicsmuseum in the world. After independence, the sovereignty rooms were assigned to the National Assembly (Congress) and the museum was consolidated in its walls, up to 2010. On that date, a major reorganization and extension project was implemented, with a contributive funding of the World Bank (7 M€): floors doubled, to benefit to didactic activities: reception, interpretation rooms, children workshops, media library; and museography reorganized, with a new signing for rooms and collections.
October, 30th, 2013, a trip in the old town
The old Medina has been one of the main sites of urban civilization in the South bank of the Mediterranean for 10 centuries, from 7th to 17th.
Today it is only a quarter within the Tunis metropolis, accommodating 6% of its inhabitants. Preserving identity and memory have been the main objectives of several rehabilitation programs for half a century. We will wander through one of the revalorized itineraries, from the Hara, the Jewish district installed in the core of the Medina in the 11th century, vanished in the 20th, to the great mosque, the founding building of the city in 698, passing by many landmarks of the past. This visit will be made in small groups, in three languages, Arabic, French, and English.
The Boukrim farm in Cape Bon is one of the favorite places of the NGO Artenvie (art and environment). This non profit association aims at presenting cultural shows, where environment is the background or even the main performer. The weekend program, depending the weather conditions, will include: visit of the neighboring archaeological site of Kerkouane (Punic era, 6th c.BC), stretching, fitness, introductive session to Brazilian and orient
November, 6th, 2013, Tunis, going back to origin, from 19thto 11th.
In themid 19th century, starting from years 1860’s, following the French Consulate erection, to-day French Embassy, and the municipal Theater block construction (1903), the so-called “European” district of Tunis developed around the track linking the Medina’s South “Bab el Bahr” (the gate to the sea) to the arsenal built at the bottom of the lagoon and to the Goulette harbor,through the causeway across the lagoon. We will go back in time, starting from this alignment (called avenue de la Marine at the beginning of the French protectorate, then avenue Jules Ferry and finally avenue Bourguiba, after in dependancein 1956) towards the Medina, passing by several landmarks of the past. This visit will be made in small groups, in three languages, Arabic, French, English.
The afternoon will conclude with the previous course in the old town and ends at the Palais Hammouda Pasha, the evening is provided by the consortium "Poulina".